How do you effectively communicate to stakeholders with multiple, and sometimes conflicting, interests?
- Deploy Phase: Following the proposal’s approval, ENC worked directly with the Energy Department’s digital team, EERE Communications and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory to design, establish and launch EERE Blog in the Drupal CMS platform. ENC managed all aspects of content development for the initial EERE Blog launch, which included:
- Strategy Phase: After conducting the interviews, ENC drafted a proposal, which described the overall strategy, audiences, content types, approval process, workflow processes, roles, responsibilities and reporting mechanisms of the EERE Blog. The Assistant Secretary of Energy reviewed and approved the proposal.
- Research Phase: To understand the needs and concerns of EERE leadership and the 10 technology offices, ENC and SRA conducted a series of fact-finding interviews and identified several communication priorities. These included: the ability to elaborate more on technology and reach more industry experts; flexibility on the format and delivery of communication products; and quicker content approval and publishing time.
- To communicate success stories and activities to diverse stakeholders, including energy entrepreneurs, manufacturers, researchers and academia, EERE needed a different channel than the Energy Department’s blog, which focuses exclusively on the general public. So ENC and SRA International established EERE’s first-ever office-level blog.
- The Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) leads the U.S. Department of Energy’s efforts to move the nation’s clean energy economy forward. EERE’s 10 technology offices work to develop and deliver market-driven solutions for energy-saving homes, buildings and manufacturing; sustainable transportation; and renewable electricity generation.
- Establishing and maintaining EERE Blog editorial calendar
- Drafting, editing and publishing content
- Coordinating with technology offices and EERE Media Team on edits and approvals
- Conducting internal stakeholder outreach
- Drafting press releases to raise awareness about the blog and the new EERE homepage
- Coordinating with Public Affairs on all blog activity
- Refine Phase: Shortly after launching the blog, ENC worked with the Energy Department’s digital team to analyze site metrics to identify ways to improve user experience that lead to a restructured, topic-driven navigation system that helped increase average page views of blog content by more than 20%.
Results: In less than a year, ENC contributed to writing and publishing more than 150 EERE Blog posts with contributions from every technology office that communicate the importance of EERE’s work and people. Several of these posts included bylines from top-level EERE leadership, and some have seen more than 2,000 page views. In addition to the EERE Blog, ENC helped increase EERE’s Facebook audience to more than 36,000, extending the reach of EERE to even more stakeholders and surpassing the audience numbers of several agency-level Facebook pages. As part of the EERE project, ENC also provided additional communications support from media pitching, fielding inquiries and updating webpages.